Ok, so I hate to admit it but my body has changed over the last 5 years and I am having to change up my health and wellness recipe. I have always been into strength training, mat Pilates, and boot camp. I had to eliminate boot camp 3 years ago due to neck issues. Yoga has not been something that has interested me at all. I went a couple of times and hated it because it seemed like I wasn’t it didn’t seem physical enough for me. Over and over again I have been told that I need to be adding some yoga into my life because of all of the benefits that I would receive. So, today I am going to share why we should all be doing yoga, especially if you are over 50.
This summer I will be spending time at our new vacation home. Norman and I are both committed to stepping out of our box and adding yoga into our weekly workouts. Now that he is 83, it is more important than ever for him to be flexible. Even though he works out, he never stretches. Stay tuned for updates on our progress under SheShe’s Tidbits.
If you do yoga, we need your support and encouragement, so any messages, stories or inspiration that you can share would be awesome. Just leave your comments in the comments section.
Below is what the American Osteopathic Association says about Yoga.
Benefits of yoga
- Increased flexibility (Try these yoga poses for flexibility with step by step instructions)
- Increased muscle strength and tone. (Why You Should Add Weights to Your Yoga Practice)
- Improved respiration, energy and vitality.
- Maintaining a balanced metabolism
- Weight reduction.
- Cardio and circulatory health.
- Improved athletic performance.
- Protection from injury.
More Benefits of yoga
9. Better nights sleep. (Restorative asana, yoga nidra , a form of guided relaxation that results in a deeper more restful sleep. Do the corpse pose).
10. Keeps sickness a bay.
11. Stress relief (Well, since most of my stress is self-induced, this benefit is huge for me).
12. Perfects your posture ( because I sit in front of a computer all day, this is super important for me. Check out this YouTube video 10 Minute Yoga for Excellent Posture)
13. Protects your spine (Backbend poses are so good)
14. Prevents cartilage and joint breakdown
Can you believe all of these benefits: Keep reading….
15. Drops your blood pressure.
16. Lowers blood sugar.
17. Improves bone health (For postmenopausal women this is so important because we lose bone density and are prone to Osteoporosis. Do the Downward-facing dog and the upward facing dog as well as these poses to strengthen arm bones and preventing the onset of Osteoporosis).
18. Helps keep you drug-free. (I hate pills!! It is so easy to be dependant on them so I am loving this one).
19. Prevents IBS & other digestive problems.
And this list keeps on going
20. Use sounds to soothe your sinuses ( See this article Yoga 101: A Beginner’s Guide to Practice, Meditation, and the Sutras).
21. Eases your pain. (Several studies have indicated that asana and/or meditation can improve pain from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, arthritis,
back pain, and even fibromyalgia. (I have symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome & arthritis, so I am hopeful that my yoga practices will help)!
22. Drains your lymph system and boost immunity. (With cancer ever prevalent, we need every opportunity to increase our immunity. Read this
article ( Lymphedema Relief Through Yoga).
23. Ups your heart rate (This will decrease your chances of a heart attack and can relieve depression).
23. Regulates your adrenal glands.
24. Maintains your nervous system.
25. Improves balance. (Try the Tree Pose for better balance and other poses for back pain)
26. Increases your blood flow. ( Handstand poses are great, but just be careful if you have symptoms of Carpel Tunnel Syndrom).
27. Improves lung function. (Twisting poses are great for many things, especially lung function).
On a mental note
28. Increases your self-esteem. (This is where the spirituality of yoga is helpful. Don’t confuse this with replacing your religious practices, just in addition to.
29. Help serve others (Read this article on Karma Yoga: Do Yoga, Do Good. I found this very interesting)
30. Most of all yoga practices make you a happier person. (When we are happy, we are less stressed that increases immune function )
Read more about the Benefits of Yoga practices. We have just listed a few to make you more aware. After we did this research, I can tell you all that I am a believer now. I want to live long with a great quality of life and we think that practicing yoga is a great place to start.
Photos by Mariter Rice Photography
Shop Yoga Wear
- I spent most of the day in the garage packing up a bunch of stuff to send to our new digs on Sanibel Island, Fla. I actually have a little room left so that makes me excited. Now looking for more stuff to send down!!
- I am feeling better this week than I have felt in a long time. I have decided to make a few changes and so far they are working. One is to walk every day, add yoga into my workout and the other is to go to bed earlier. I have also had time to catch up on some things, so therefore less stress. The end result is happy, rested SheShe. Now, if I can continue with this program.
- Gala’s, weddings, graduations, holidays or just everyday wear…..we have fashion suggestions for you, so stay tuned. Be sure to check out ShopSheShe tab at the top of the menu bar. Hover over and choose the category in the drop down. We try to keep it up to date with the latest and greatest for all budgets. Subscribe here and then you won’t miss a post. Simply enter your email in the pop-up box when you come to this site or at the top of this page in the subscribe box.
- WELCOME new readers. We are a fashion/travel/lifestyle blog. We talk about anything and everything, from fashion, travel, health issues to even an occasional recipe. If there is a topic that you are interested in, then let us know. We will do our best to bring that story to you. Have a great week sweet friends and thank you for following along. Without you, we could not continue on this crazy journey!