Swimwear for over 40 does not need to be difficult or stressful! Swimwear is becoming skimpier and skimpier as the years go on and can make beach season uncomfortable. I have loved my one-piece suits, that while most think “one-piece” and think of a grandma suit that’s plain and unflattering I have found styles perfect for my body and are really not maw-maw at all. Read below for my tips and my picks for swimwear for ladies over 40.
First of all, you guys must know by now that I am obsessed with protecting my skin from the sun. My favorite brand that I turn to that is made with UPF is Cabana Life. They have really cute suits, rashguards, and coverups. I have been adding items from their collections for the last 4 years. Below are a few of my favorites that I currently own or on my wish list. Go here for much much more.
A one-piece does not always have to be boring, I have several of my own that are chic, sexy. and fun! The great thing about one-piece swimwear is that it can hide certain features that we are not fond of with our bodies. Often times one-piece suits can have too much tummy control and you find your arms bulging out and your back spilling out, there are actually several one-piece suits that are pretty and flattering.
When shopping for your one piece usually size up. Especially if you have a long torso! When choosing a one-piece do not just think about what you want to hide but also think about the features you do like! To elongate your legs a high cut swimsuit will do the trick! Be careful with the high cut leg suits, make sure they have modest seat coverage. For a little more coverage and tummy control go for something like the MiracleSuit or MagicSuit, which has firm control. They lift, smooth, and contour your curves in the most flattering fashion. The list below is a few of my favorite one pieces.
- Colorful – This is the wonderful Miraclesuit! It has the ruching to mask if you are uncomfortable with your tummy like many women. Also is made with UPF fabric so that’s a major plus for me.
- Extra Support – Bustier ladies! How cute is this cheetah print one-piece? I love it!
- Classy – For a more simple look I love an easy yet classy black one-piece. This one is perfect and makes me feel like I’m ten pounds lighter.
- More Coverage – Most one pieces have enough coverage but if you need just a tad more I currently have this suit by Cabana Life and it’s one of my most used and favorites. The fit is incredible, is a UPF suit and has a supportive bra cup.
The two-piece can be scary sometimes especially with how skimpy they have become over the recent years. But fear not I have some great tips and suits for every woman and everybody! A lot of times we can steer clear of the two-piece as we get it confused with the bikini. The difference between the two is that the bikini is much smaller, has a lower rise, smaller strings (is stringier in general), and has less support. The two-piece has a higher rise, control, more support for the breasts, and definitely a better seat coverage. To decide between a bikini or two-piece you must take into consideration your body type. If you feel comfortable in a teeny bikini more power to you, but also remember the message you want to portray to the world. Below is a list of a few of my favorite two pieces.
- Colorful – Aren’t you just loving this striped fun two piece? I sure am, especially with all of the details.
- Extra Support – For extra bust support this top is amazing. Even goes up to size DD/E while still being classy and sexy!
- Classy – There’s something so classy about gingham and kind of has that retro/vintage feel to it. This one is perfect to tune into your inner Marilyn.
- More Coverage – For more coverage with a two-piece your best bet is to go high-waisted. You can even find some high-waisted with tummy control as well.
The tankini is definitely not a suit that is my go to, if I’m not wanting a two piece but needing more coverage I prefer to do a rash guard and bottom. The reason for me not being the biggest fan of the tankini is because it’s supposed to mask and have coverage, but lift your arms or bend over and the tummy still shows! So, I prefer the longer tankini and ones that aren’t as tight. With that being said, there are a few cute ones that I am a fan of! I have also thrown in some swimdresses incase you too are not so big on the tankini but like the idea and want more coverage!
- Colorful – Who says a tankini cannot be bright and fun? Well here’s a super cute and fun tankini.
- Extra Support – If you have a larger bust than support is super important here is a great suit with lots of support.
- Classy – I think this is a gorgeous tankini. So fun and the peplum will help to create such a feminine figure.
- More Coverage – This tankini looks more like a camisole and is longer in the front to avoid the awkward tummy peeking out.
Cover-ups are a must have for me! I enjoy going back to the resort for brunch or if I’m island hoping I can get off of the boat and throw on a cute cover-up and I’m ready to go anywhere. Cabana Life has managed to stay my favorite brand for cover-ups for years!
Beach & Pool Necessities
For my outdoor necessities I have added a few of my go-to’s this season. Have a peek and shop!
Talbot’s – 30% off entire purchase Use code FRIENDS30
Sephora – 20% off for Rouge members. Use code: HEYROUGE
Bloomingdale’s – Take $25 for ever $100 you spend.
- I have been on Sanibel Island for almost a month now and we are preparing to head back to Houston. I will be unpacking and repacking and headed to California wine country for a fast and furious weekend at a newly renovated resort and spa that we will be reporting on so stay tuned. We have also been working on some exciting travel adventures for about 8 months now. I will be taking more trips in May and June so stay with us for the journey.
- Gala’s, weddings, graduations, holidays or just everyday wear…..we have fashion suggestions for you, so stay tuned. Be sure to check out ShopSheShe tab at the top in the menu bar. Hover over and choose the category in the drop down. We try to keep it up to date with the latest and greatest for all budgets. Subscribe here and then you won’t miss a post. Simply enter your email in the pop-up box or below.
- WELCOME new readers. We are a fashion/travel/lifestyle blog. We talk about anything and everything, from fashion, travel, health issues to even an occasional recipe. Let us know if there is a topic that interests you. We will do our best to bring that story to you. Have a great week sweet friends and thank you for following along. Without you, we could not continue on this crazy fun journey.