SheShe's TOP 12 NORDSTROM SALE PICKS!
Sun protection with Cabana Life can give you the safety net you need while being exposed to the sun.
WE ARE TALKING ABOUT LIVING HERE!! We can enjoy the beautiful outdoors and protect our skin at the same time. Read the facts so that you know how to protect yourself while living your life from one of the most deadly cancers. The risks of no protection is clearly a risk to a deadly cancer called Melanoma.
What is Melanoma? For those of you who haven’t heard about melanoma- this is a tumor of melanin-forming cells that could lead to skin cancer if not treated right away. This will only become cancerous when the cells in the body begin to grow out of control.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT MELANOMA
- This is a skin cancer that can easily spread compared to other skin cancer
- Fastest Growing Cancer in the US and worldwide
- Melanoma often starts out as a mole and can be removed if treated early.
- Risk factors for melanoma include fair complexion, family history, severe sunburns as a child, and using a tanning bed ten times a year or more before age 30.
- One person dies of melanoma every single hour of every single hour of every day.
- An estimated 1o,ooo plus people will die of melanoma this year
- More people die of tanning than develop lung cancer due to smoking.
My Personal Experience
First of all, I am the poster child for over exposure to the sun and that damage showed it’s ugly head about 10 years ago. ( read a previous post about my young life in the sun ) About 10 years ago on a routine visit to my dermatologist, my doctor discovered a mole on my back that looked a little suspicious. She removed the mole and had it sent off and to her surprise it was classified in the pre-melanoma stage, therefore more margins around the mole had to be cut out. As I dodged that one, my level of concern for future diagnosis was greatly raised. I see my doctor every year and I constantly check for unusual moles.
Also, my father was diagnosed with melanoma from a mole on his forearm. They got it all…. thank God!! Did you know that there is a genetic link that can be passed down to children? I guess I got it. That is another reason that I am over cautious these days.
Finally, Norman, my husband was diagnosed with melanoma on his back about 4 years ago. Two years before he was diagnosed I saw the mole and told him it looked a little strange and he should have it checked out by his doctor. It is a miracle that the cancer had not spread into his lymph nodes and other places. That is when it can become deadly and be very difficult at that point to get cured. He has been cancer free since. Another close call!!!
Below is some great information for you know to know. Be sure to start educating at a very young age. We didn’t have all of this knowledge when I was growing up.
The best ways to lower the risk of non-melanoma skin cancers:
- Avoid intense sunlight for long periods of time and to practice sun safety (i.e.: look for sunscreen that provides both UVA and UVB protection with at least a 30 spf ).
- Wear a brimmed hat. Understand that reflections can still damage your skin.
- Wear sunglasses. The UV rays can damage you eyes over time.
- Wear protective clothing. ( a cotton t shirt only gives about 5 UV protection )
- Do not use a tanning bed!!! There are great options in applied tanning solutions that have improved so much from previous years.
Now how can someone prevent melanoma? So before anyone can prevent it, make sure you are aware of the Signs and Symptoms of this case. So notice if you have Normal moles, better to be sure by visiting your dermatologist and confirm if these are just moles. As what they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Go to MDAnderson.org for more statistics.
Now we have the ABCDE rule
Changes in the size, shape, color, or feel of a mole are often the first warning sign of melanoma.
Asymmetry: When you draw a line on this mole, the two halves doesn’t match
Border-: The edges of melanoma are irregular and rough
Color: It may change in color from time to time
Diameter: The size of melanoma grows or expands
Evolving: The mole will change in size, shape and color, appearance.
Feeling: Has the sensation around a mole or spot changed?
Founded by Melissa Papock, Cabana Life is one part of her plan to educate men, women and children about the dangers of the deadly cancer called melanoma as well as partnering strategically with numerous non-profit organizations.
At the very young age of 26, Melissa was diagnosed with malignant melanoma. It is the most common cancer among women between the ages of 25 and 29. Through her journey she discovered that ordinary clothing was giving very little protection against the harmful rays of the sun. Her doctor informed her that there was protective clothing available, but she was so disappointed in what was on the market. Yuk!!! That is what motivated this fashionista to design a very colorful stylish line of swimwear and clothing, not just for survivors but for all of us and she calls it Cabana Life. Gotta love the name!!!
Our Top 25 Cabana Life Picks
Shop My Look
Cabana Life dress c/o | Rebecca Minkoff denim bag | Tibi mules | Thierry Lasy c/o The Eye Gallery Houston | Tassel Earring | Navy silk bomber jacket c/o Yummie by Heather Thomson | Lips: Mac Lady Danger
Show any suspicious skin area, non-healing sore or new or changing mole or freckle to your doctor right away.
M.D. Anderson Cancer Research Center www.mdanderson.org
Melanoma Symptoms and Sign. (2005-2016 American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)). http://www.cancer.net/cancer-types/melanoma/symptoms-and-signs
Jeffrey John Meffert, MD.. Melanoma 101: Introduction to a Deadly Skin Cancer. http://www.medicinenet.com/melanoma/article.htm
The Skin Cancer Foundation www.skincancer.org
Nordstrom’s Anniversary Sale and Our 25 Denim Picks for you.
As you can see, before I even got this collage published a couple of styles have sold out. I did pick out some more favs that I over looked before. Today, I an doing a little review on fit and style of some of the denim brands featured here.
- Kut from the Cloth– Very budget friendly under $100 with a great missy fit. We give them 5 stars for being on trend.
- Paige Denim– A fav of the stars, premium denim with a higher price point, nothing too wild….great fit for most body types….great basics
- Kut from the Cloth– Love this grey. A great color to add to your fall line up. Big bang for your buck!!
- Joe’s Jeans– Premium denim with a higher price tag. A more contemporary fit. The leg opening is not too flared giving a long linear look.
- Hudson Jeans-Premium denim with a higher price tag. A more contemporary fit. The destroyed look is still going strong. Skinny jeans are great to wear with you fall boots. Black is another must.
- BlankNYC-Budget friendly under $100 and one of my favorite trendy denim lines. If you want to add a really fun destroyed pair of jeans to your arsenal then this is the pair. I bought 2 pair of these last year. The fit is true to size. So get with it ladies and step out of your box. We here at SheSheShow believe that women over 50, 60 or…. can rock this look done right!!!!
- Vigoss– Another great budget friendly line that is on point with trends. This pair is slightly distressed so if you don’t like the destroyed look this could be a good option. Somewhat contemporary fit but true to size. The rolled up cuff is great especially if you are more petite. No hemming necessary.
- Treasure & Bond– One of my favorite affordable lines an exclusive at Nordstrom. At under $100 this brand has all styles of denim. The fit is great and they also have apparel that I love.
- Caslon– A Nordstrom brand with a great missy fit and priced to fit modest budgets. Under $100. This is a great color for fall. that you could style so many ways for most casual occasions.
- Frame Denim-The premium line is one of my top 2 premium denim lines. Yes, it carries a premium price tag but I think they are worth it. It is a contemporary fit but you can size down which I love! The jeans in the collage have sold out ( I snagged a pair the first day of early access to the sale) but I linked another similar basic pair of skinnies for you.
- Not pictured above but both popular brands
- Rag and Bone-Another favorite designer denim that I love. A more contemporary fit but the best denim. You will pay more but you will fill great wearing Rag and Bone. They also have a great apparel line. ( this cute cuffed pair is pictured in the boutique below.
- NYDJ-A favorite brand for real women over 40. With a couple of pant rise options, this brand works for many figure types. Moderate price points and they are a great resource for colored denim as well.
I hope this denim review has been helpful. There are so many other brands out there, but these are some great buys that you should consider before the pricing goes back up August the 8th. Every year for the past 3 or 4 years I have stocked up on my jeans for the fall during this sale.
What you need to do is get into your closets and weed out any old styles and bring in something fresh. Old styles to think about ditching are the really low rise which we are all glad to do. ( thank you Jesus) Also the flap pocket has seemed to disappear. I just gave all of mine away. If you still have any embroidered denim then hang on to them. They are trending again.
- So to review denim trends: The rise is coming up. Yeah!!! For the younger generation they think the high waisted jeans rock. I believe the mid rise is by far the most flattering. Skinnies, boyfriend, destroyed, flared, light blue, dark and colored denim are all making their mark this fall. Have fun shopping this great Nordstrom sale and start jettin in yo jeans!
- We would love to know what style and brands that you love.
- Stay tuned for beauty and our Nordstrom sale picks.
HAVE A GREAT WEEK!