Have any of you ever heard of Canyon Ranch or maybe you have been there? Well, if you haven’t been there, then I am here to dangle this carrot so that you will be planning or booking your next destination vacation/trip to Canyon Ranch, a health and wellness spa. My blogger friend Shauna curator of Chic Over 50 and I partnered with Canyon Ranch for a fun-filled, busy 3 days exploring, eating, having hers and her messages, and each having our own one on one counseling on managing cravings and the physiology of exercise.
Let me first tell you a story and then we will get into my experience while I was there. Over 35 years ago I was flying American Airlines in first class from New York to Dallas and I happen to sit by a beautiful red-headed woman name Enid Zuckerman. We didn’t speak to each other at first but after a while, we began to chat. I had noticed that this gorgeous lady had some not so pretty welts on her face but I wasn’t about to say a word because I didn’t know if it was a normal condition or something else. She was obviously self-conscious, so eventually she opened up to me.
Enid proceeded to tell me about a beauty procedure she had done on her face and that her face had adversely reacted to the treatment. Now, remember, this was over 35 years ago, so there really weren’t that many procedures going on in the beauty industry at that time. Anyway, she also told me that she and her husband owned an upscale spa located in Tucson, Arizona. I still have her business card that she gave me that day and I vowed that day that I would one day go to Canyon Ranch.
Fast forward to about a month ago, I finally made the trip to the most wonderful health and wellness spa. When I checked in, I asked the manager if Enid just might be around and he said yes and told me to write a note and he would give it to her. I wrote the note explaining who I was and how we met over 35 years ago. Never really expecting to hear from her, but she was so curious that she picked up the phone and called me. I told her about the face treatment episode and then she remembered. We must have visited for over 30 minutes on the phone.
To summarize this story is you never know when you meet someone that somehow some way, that your paths might cross again. Enid made such an impression on me that I talked about her for many years and help spread the word about Canyon Ranch even though I had never been there. I now have her email and cell phone number. I hope that we can meet face to face next time I go to Canyon Ranch and it will NOT take me 35 more years to get back.
Now, let’s talk about what the Zuckerman’s built over the years. Using an integrative approach for each person that visits has been a well-proven system that works. When you choose a Canyon Ranch Health Package, you get an elite team of doctors, exercise physiologists, nutritionists, life management experts and several other specialists that come together to put together a plan designed specifically for you. If you are thinking about a girls trip, mother/daughter escape, or couple retreat with benefits, then this is the place. Go to www.canyonranch.com for all the details that include packages with pricing.
The Packages currently available are:
- Executive Health Program
- Brain fitness
- New approaches to weight management
- Spiritual Health
- Therapeutic detox
- Optimal living
- Back in the game of Life: Gearing Up Before or After Surgery
- Your Personal Best: TRaining for Success
Where would you start with your own program? For me, it was a tough one because I only had 2 1/2 days so I had to hone in on a limited plan to fix me. Ha Ha! Shauna, the feisty gal with the pink hair in the next photo and I decided on the same plans but geared to our own cravings and fitness levels. We took home some good recommendations to help us achieve our new goals.
The great thing about this spa is that you don’t have to do anything and you can just chill. They have a beautiful 2-mile hiking trail where you can see many varieties of trees, cacti, and wildlife. We actually had a pack of wild javelinas come upon us by our casita. They didn’t seem to be vicious but……
Food was served in one of 2 restaurants which is all inclusive with your package. The Double U was a cute order at the counter restaurant with covered inside/outside seating. No reservation needed. Shauna and I loved the healthy meal choices and the outdoor dining area with a cozy fireplace. Be sure to make your reservation at the Canyon Ranch Grill way in advance before arriving.The Grill was a sit-down and be waited on kind of restaurant and every night the menu changed. I did not do that, but we lucked out the last night due to a cancellation.
About some of the photos:
- The weather was unseasonably cold while we were there, but some seem to enjoy sitting by the pool in the warm sunshine.
- Shauna and I shared a room and it was designed so we had our own spaces. Separate closets and vanities.
- The fitness center was amazing and they had different types of classes going on all day long.
- Of course, Shauna and I loved our messages. There were so many different kinds to choose from.
- The sculptures displayed everywhere were amazing and we actually met one of the main artists.
- Their creative arts classes were very interesting to me for when I return. ( painted rocks) They also do beading classes and more….
- One of my favorite things was just walking around and taking photos of all of the beautiful landscape. The desert is such an amazing place.
***Some things you should know….. no alcohol is served. You can bring your own to enjoy in your rooms. It is very casual, even at dinner, there were some coming straight from a class or spa treatment. If you want to clean up before dinner and dress up a bit, then that’s ok too. Also, if you are a phone addict just know that you can only use your phone in designated areas. This is for those who are there to disconnect. It is a very quiet campus. I loved it!! Canyon Ranch is also in Lenox, Massachusettes and Las Vegas. All unique to their location.
There is so much more to share about Canyon Ranch, but I have given you enough to wet your whistle. I give it 5 stars with no hesitation and it is well worth the money for a priceless experience.
Be sure to scroll through the beautiful photos below of this scenic campus in the desert.
This post was brought to you in partnership with Canyon Ranch
What To Wear
- After a week of travel to New York City and Austin, I am finally home and boy oh boy am I behind on everything. I love to go but there is a payback when I get back home. Can any of you relate? Coming up over the next week will be more spring fashion and my recent trip to NYC. I am working on some beauty videos, but they take a little longer as I have to use the products for a while before I can write about them. Hope you are having a great week!
- Gala’s, weddings, graduations, holidays or just everyday wear…..we have fashion suggestions for you, so stay tuned. Be sure to check out ShopSheShe tab at the top of the menu bar. Hover over and choose the category in the drop down. We try to keep it up to date with the latest and greatest for all budgets. Subscribe here and then you won’t miss a post. Simply enter your email in the pop-up box when you come to this site or at the top of this page in the subscribe box.
- WELCOME new readers. We are a fashion/travel/lifestyle blog. We talk about anything and everything, from fashion, travel, health issues to even an occasional recipe. If there is a topic that you are interested in, then let us know. We will do our best to bring that story to you. Have a great week sweet friends and thank you for following along. Without you, we could not continue on this crazy fun journey!