Hurricane season is here and living on the coast of Texas, I like to be prepared. Year after year, we experience some sort of hurricane or tropical storm – preparing for these potential disasters is something I have become accustomed to. Today I am sharing my tips and a few from the CDC about preparing for a hurricane or tropical storm.
Make a Plan
Hurricane season starts on May 15 in the north Pacific and June 1 in the Atlantic and the Caribbean. It ends on November 30. Before hurricane season each year, make sure you and your family are prepared by planning ahead.
- Write down emergency phone numbers and keep them on the refrigerator or near every phone in your house. Program them into your cell phone too.
- Prepare an emergency supply kit.
- Locate the nearest shelter and different routes you can take to get there from your home. If shelter locations in your area have not been identified, learn how to find them in the event of a stormexternal icon.
- Pet owners: Pre-identify shelters, a pet-friendly hotel, or an out-of-town friend or relative where you can take your pets in an evacuation. Local animal shelters may be able to offer advice on what to do with your pets if you are asked to evacuate your home.
During and after a hurricane, you may need supplies to keep your family safe and healthy. Remember that a hurricane could cut off your power and water supply. You also may not be able to drive because of damage to your car. Roads may be flooded or blocked.
That’s why it’s best to be prepared—stock up on everything you might need now. Be sure to prepare the following:
Hurricane Food + Water Supply
If there’s one thing we cannot survive without, that is food and water! Luckily there are plenty of healthy and tasty kits to keep you and your family nourished. This meal kit comes with 13 breakfasts and 13 dinner options including a creamy stroganoff, lasagna, to a strawberry cream wheat! None of these meals require that you have power or fire and you can eat them right out of the bag. These Redcon1 – MRE Ready To Drink Protein Shakes are also a great way to fill up fast and give yourself some nutrients. If you are lactose intolerant these protein shakes are a great option.
Water is so important and we tend to run into shortages of it during hurricane season and have even run out of water during the recovery time of a hurricane. This is when I found LifeStraw. Keep in mind, a gallon of water a day – per person. Don’t forget your pets!
About this item:
- Removes bacteria & parasites: The microfiltration membrane removes 99.999999% of waterborne bacteria (including E. coli and salmonella) and 99.999% of waterborne parasites (including giardia and cryptosporidium)
- Removes microplastics: Removes the smallest microplastics found in the environment (down to 1 micron), and reduces turbidity down to 0.2 microns
- Rigorous Testing: All claims are verified with laboratories using standard testing protocols set by the US EPA, NSF, ASTM for water purifiers
- Long Lifetime: The microbiological filter will provide 4,000 liters (1,000 gallons) of clean and safe drinking water with proper use and maintenance
- Make an Impact: For every LifeStraw product purchased, a school child in need receives safe drinking water for an entire school year. BPA Free materials.
Batteries and power sources are a MUST. I suggest stocking up on batteries for your electronics. A phone charger (this is a solar-powered charger), flashlights, and this power bank are my top 3. The power bank has it all from a phone charger, flashlight, a solid reception radio, SOS alarm, and 5 ways to connect to power. To charge the battery is simple, just wind it up and it will recharge.
Medicine + Medical Supply
A first aid kit and medicines are necessary to have to stay prepared. This First Aid Only 298 Piece All-Purpose First Aid Emergency Kit has everything you could need for minor injuries. I also love this survival kit which includes paracord bracelets, wire saw, water bottle clip, emergency blanket, flint stone, scraper, blow fire tube, 4pcs fire tinder, flashlight, whistle, saber card, survival pen, multi-use spoon fork, 2 carabiners, 4pcs fishing tools, and box.
Ready To Roll
Make sure your car is ready before the storm hits.
- Fill your car’s gas tank.
- Move cars and trucks into your garage or under cover.
- Always keep an emergency kit in your car.
- Visit Ready.gov for information on how to prepare your car and what to include in your kit.
If you don’t own a car, consider making plans with friends or family or call authorities to get a ride if you need to evacuate.
You’ll want to make sure all of your important documents are stored in a safe place and easy to get to. These include medical documents, wills, passports, personal identification – and any other important documents you may need say your home gets flooded or any other tragedies were to occur. This Fireproof and Waterproof Document Bag was created by professionals, so you can rest assured your new document storage case will offer unwavering protection for your important possessions. I like to include extra cash because once the power is gone, so are ATMs and devices that accept electronic payments.
- Clear your yard. Make sure there’s nothing that could blow around during the storm and damage your home. Move bikes, lawn furniture, grills, propane tanks, and building material inside or under shelter.
- Cover up windows and doors. Use storm shutters or nail pieces of plywood to the outside window frames to protect your windows. This can help keep you safe from pieces of shattered glass.
- Be ready to turn off your power. If you see flooding, downed power lines, or you have to leave your home, switch your power off.
- Fill clean water containers with drinking water. You’ll want to do this in case you lose your water supply during the storm. You can also fill up your sinks and bathtubs with water for washing.
- Check your carbon monoxide (CO) detector’s battery to prevent CO poisoning
Hurricane Preparation Shop
Team SheShe did start our new Facebook group page called SheShe’s Shopping Network. We would love for you to join the group and join us every Tuesday night for our Live segment all about shopping trends style tips and more. It is so much fun!!
We hope to see you there!! Here is the link to join
Have a wonderful day sweet friends!
ABOUT SHESHE SHOW
- WELCOME new readers. We are a fashion/travel/lifestyle blog. We talk about anything and everything, from fashion, travel, health issues, and skincare tips, to even an occasional recipe. Let us know if there is a topic that interests you. We will do our best to bring that story to you. Have a great week sweet friends and thank you for following along. Without you, we could not continue on this crazy fun journey.
- Be sure to check out the Shop SheShe tab at the top of the menu bar. Hover over and choose the category in the dropdown. We try to keep it up to date with the latest and greatest for all budgets. Subscribe here and then you won’t miss a post. Simply enter your email in the pop-up box or below. Also, download the LiketoKnow.It App, follow @shesheshow to shop all of our daily outfits, home, beauty, and more. Go here for our LiketoKnow.It tutorial.